Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack awarded a five-year, $10 million grant to Pennsylvania State University to develop biomass supply chains for the production of liquid transportation and aviation biofuels. This is the sixth grant made through the USDA Agriculture and Food Research Initiative, placing an opportunity in every corner of the country to promote biofuels, according to Vilsack. The grant will help fund research to plant miscanthus, switchgrass or willow in strip mines and marginal flood plain lands. During a media conference, the Secretary told reporters that the new initiative is expected to bring 400,000 jobs directly and indirectly. Once the industry reaches the mandate to provide 36-billion gallon of biofuels per year in the nation’s fuel supply, Vilsack said nearly 1 million jobs would be created.
Get Email Updates
- USDA Enhances Farm Storage Facility Loan Program: USDA Enhances Farm Storage Facility Loan Program ... http://t.co/wMdNWgY817 07:31PM - 10 Mar 2014
- USDA Enhances Farm Storage Facility Loan Program http://t.co/CpyPXOw9f1 07:26PM - 10 Mar 2014
- USDA Announces Efforts to Expand Support for Small and Mid-Sized #Farmers & #Ranchers http://t.co/osvbJvRjFp 05:38PM - 10 Mar 2014
- USDA Releases Latest Crop Production Report. View it here http://t.co/6AL3fszTXE 04:08PM - 10 Mar 2014
- USDA FY 2015 Budget Summary and Annual Performance Plan http://t.co/9kQQ3GeSQv 03:51PM - 10 Mar 2014