Researchers are finding new ways to extend the growing season for strawberries in the Mid-Atlantic area. By using low tunnels — a canopy-like structure made of plastic over support hoops — agricultural scientists are able to start the strawberry season early and stretch it through the summer and fall seasons. The low tunnels protect the fruit from rain, which minimizes diseases known to attack the fruit. The tunnels also provide shade from damaging infrared and UV light and capture warmth during the cooler spring and fall seasons. Read more.
Get Email Updates
- Daily Market Rates effective 10/21/2016 https://t.co/CjDtx8qunm 04:16PM - 21 Oct 2016
- USDA Announces Streamlined Guaranteed Loans and Additional Lender Category for Small-Scale Operators https://t.co/Wtixs32dAr 11:30PM - 20 Oct 2016
- Daily Market Rates effective 10/20/2016 https://t.co/CjDtx88TvO 04:15PM - 20 Oct 2016
- Daily Market Rates effective 10/19/2016 https://t.co/CjDtx8qunm 11:18AM - 19 Oct 2016
- Daily Market Rates effective 10/18/2016 https://t.co/CjDtx8qunm 11:16AM - 18 Oct 2016