Researchers are finding new ways to extend the growing season for strawberries in the Mid-Atlantic area. By using low tunnels — a canopy-like structure made of plastic over support hoops — agricultural scientists are able to start the strawberry season early and stretch it through the summer and fall seasons. The low tunnels protect the fruit from rain, which minimizes diseases known to attack the fruit. The tunnels also provide shade from damaging infrared and UV light and capture warmth during the cooler spring and fall seasons. Read more.
Get Email Updates
- Happy Thanksgiving and a heartfelt thank you to all the #farmers and #ranchers who work tirelessly to feed this nation & the world. 05:16PM - 26 Nov 2014
- Dairy #farmers can use new Web resource to calculate best levels of MPP coverage for their #dairy operation http://t.co/RtCov6HACC 01:05PM - 26 Nov 2014
- Daily Market Rates effective 11/26/2014 http://t.co/Pt9swrT0AU 12:05PM - 26 Nov 2014
- Daily Market Rates effective 11/25/2014 http://t.co/Pt9swrT0AU 12:05PM - 25 Nov 2014
- #Dairy farmers have one week to apply for Dairy Margin Protection Program. Deadline is Dec. 5. http://t.co/8b8EffpDh5 #rancher 11:05PM - 24 Nov 2014