Researchers are finding new ways to extend the growing season for strawberries in the Mid-Atlantic area. By using low tunnels — a canopy-like structure made of plastic over support hoops — agricultural scientists are able to start the strawberry season early and stretch it through the summer and fall seasons. The low tunnels protect the fruit from rain, which minimizes diseases known to attack the fruit. The tunnels also provide shade from damaging infrared and UV light and capture warmth during the cooler spring and fall seasons. Read more.
Get Email Updates
- Daily Market Rates effective 08/04/2015 http://t.co/CjDtx8qunm 11:21AM - 4 Aug 2015
- Good story for #CRPis30: http://t.co/FwagQIjgd3 01:53PM - 3 Aug 2015
- USDA Announces Commodity Credit Corporation Lending Rates for August 2015: USDA Announces Commodity Credit Cor... http://t.co/XxUsBfAN6R 01:35PM - 3 Aug 2015
- USDA Announces Commodity Credit Corporation Lending Rates for August 2015 https://t.co/QFPLU5S46D 01:28PM - 3 Aug 2015
- Daily Market Rates effective 08/03/2015 http://t.co/CjDtx8qunm 11:07AM - 3 Aug 2015