Researchers are finding new ways to extend the growing season for strawberries in the Mid-Atlantic area. By using low tunnels — a canopy-like structure made of plastic over support hoops — agricultural scientists are able to start the strawberry season early and stretch it through the summer and fall seasons. The low tunnels protect the fruit from rain, which minimizes diseases known to attack the fruit. The tunnels also provide shade from damaging infrared and UV light and capture warmth during the cooler spring and fall seasons. Read more.
Get Email Updates
- Daily Market Rates effective 09/15/2014 http://t.co/HBhosek8U0 11:12AM - 15 Sep 2014
- Livestock producers should enroll in disaster assistance prgm by Oct. 1 to avoid reduction in amt of assistance rec'd http://t.co/0c1qyD6aR6 09:15PM - 12 Sep 2014
- Daily Market Rates effective 09/12/2014 http://t.co/HBhosek8U0 11:09AM - 12 Sep 2014
- Daily Market Rates effective 09/11/2014 http://t.co/HBhosek8U0 11:21AM - 11 Sep 2014
- Daily Market Rates effective 09/10/2014 http://t.co/HBhosek8U0 11:06AM - 10 Sep 2014