Researchers are finding new ways to extend the growing season for strawberries in the Mid-Atlantic area. By using low tunnels — a canopy-like structure made of plastic over support hoops — agricultural scientists are able to start the strawberry season early and stretch it through the summer and fall seasons. The low tunnels protect the fruit from rain, which minimizes diseases known to attack the fruit. The tunnels also provide shade from damaging infrared and UV light and capture warmth during the cooler spring and fall seasons. Read more.
Get Email Updates
- Daily Market Rates effective 06/30/2016 https://t.co/CjDtx8qunm 11:07AM - 30 Jun 2016
- Do you have a passion to support fellow farmers? Nominate yourself to be an #FSA County Committee Member. https://t.co/8LuW3wVxc3 01:45PM - 29 Jun 2016
- Daily Market Rates effective 06/29/2016 https://t.co/CjDtx8qunm 11:17AM - 29 Jun 2016
- Daily Market Rates effective 06/28/2016 https://t.co/CjDtx8qunm 11:08AM - 28 Jun 2016
- Daily Market Rates effective 06/27/2016 https://t.co/CjDtx8qunm 11:12AM - 27 Jun 2016