Researchers are finding new ways to extend the growing season for strawberries in the Mid-Atlantic area. By using low tunnels — a canopy-like structure made of plastic over support hoops — agricultural scientists are able to start the strawberry season early and stretch it through the summer and fall seasons. The low tunnels protect the fruit from rain, which minimizes diseases known to attack the fruit. The tunnels also provide shade from damaging infrared and UV light and capture warmth during the cooler spring and fall seasons. Read more.
Get Email Updates
- Daily Market Rates effective 08/27/2014 http://t.co/HBhosek8U0 11:12AM - 27 Aug 2014
- USDA _ERS will host a webinar on the new 2014 forecast for farm sector and household income today @ 1 p.m. ET http://t.co/0moN0YyEqw 12:31PM - 26 Aug 2014
- Daily Market Rates effective 08/26/2014 http://t.co/CjDtx88TvO 11:09AM - 26 Aug 2014
- @ScottStebner How great of you to share this with us. Thank you. This is wonderful FSA history. 12:43PM - 25 Aug 2014
- Follow @USDANutrition #HealthierNextGen Twitter Chat w/ @FUTP60 Student Ambassadors to discuss healthy school meals Wed Aug 27 @ 3 ET 12:38PM - 25 Aug 2014