New data released from the 2012 Census of Agriculture shows that certified organic agriculture producers are younger, beginning farmers who sell directly to consumers and produce on-farm renewable energy. Earlier this year, the Census reported that total organic product sales by farms in the U.S. increased 83 percent since 2007. About 42 percent of organic farms reported direct sales to consumers, while demographically, the average organic producer was a beginning farmer with 27 percent starting a farm in the last 10 years. Organic operators were younger than conventional farmers with 26 percent under the age of 45. Read more.
Get Email Updates
- Farmers looking for a farm loan can use the Farm Loan Discovery Tool to find loans that best fit their operation.… https://t.co/iYIPJK9BB8 08:37PM - 3 Dec 2021
- RT @FarmersGov: Next week @USDA will begin issuing final payments to loggers and log trucking businesses through the Pandemic Assistance fo… 06:26PM - 2 Dec 2021
- What’s happening in your neck of the woods? Find information on farm loan programs for your region by visiting your… https://t.co/XVs85TVTP5 05:29PM - 2 Dec 2021
- RT @usdaRMA: 🚨This provision is now PERMANENT🚨 We are also increasing flexibility related to the prevented planting “1 in 4” requirement, a… 07:35PM - 1 Dec 2021
- Looking for something? The AskUSDA tool makes it easy to find information all across our organization in one place!… https://t.co/MwRwTSesx5 04:11PM - 1 Dec 2021