Researchers at the USDA Agricultural Research Service may have discovered ways for tomatoes to keep their fresh-from-the-garden taste. Scientist found that sugar and acid are the key characteristics in tomato varieties that determine the overall flavor. Although the amount of acid varied slightly, it was the amount of sugar that determined the flavor; the greater the ratio of sugar to acid, the sweeter the tomato. The sweeter the tomato, the more flavor it contained. The finding will provide a broad range of possibilities for breeders to adjust sugar levels and develop more flavorful tomatoes. Learn more.
Get Email Updates
- RT @FarmersGov: Next week @USDA will begin issuing final payments to loggers and log trucking businesses through the Pandemic Assistance fo… 06:26PM - 2 Dec 2021
- What’s happening in your neck of the woods? Find information on farm loan programs for your region by visiting your… https://t.co/XVs85TVTP5 05:29PM - 2 Dec 2021
- RT @usdaRMA: 🚨This provision is now PERMANENT🚨 We are also increasing flexibility related to the prevented planting “1 in 4” requirement, a… 07:35PM - 1 Dec 2021
- Looking for something? The AskUSDA tool makes it easy to find information all across our organization in one place!… https://t.co/MwRwTSesx5 04:11PM - 1 Dec 2021
- RT @FarmersGov: With #NoTillNovember winding down, you don’t have to pick the plow up. Use these 5 tips to build healthier soils every mont… 05:15AM - 1 Dec 2021