Researchers at the USDA Agricultural Research Service may have discovered ways for tomatoes to keep their fresh-from-the-garden taste. Scientist found that sugar and acid are the key characteristics in tomato varieties that determine the overall flavor. Although the amount of acid varied slightly, it was the amount of sugar that determined the flavor; the greater the ratio of sugar to acid, the sweeter the tomato. The sweeter the tomato, the more flavor it contained. The finding will provide a broad range of possibilities for breeders to adjust sugar levels and develop more flavorful tomatoes. Learn more.
Get Email Updates
- Farm Ownership Loans may be used to purchase a farm, enlarge an existing farm, construct new farm buildings and/or… https://t.co/8iObkgPe74 02:02PM - 2 Dec 2022
- .@USDA Announces December 2022 Lending Rates for Ag Producers https://t.co/pjyw9DtHAf https://t.co/uU33l6fMoi 06:59PM - 1 Dec 2022
- Administrator Zach Ducheneaux discusses the importance of casting your vote for FSA's 2022 County Committee Electio… https://t.co/GJet64ipyV 05:50PM - 30 Nov 2022
- From bees and pollinators to underserved farmers, we have fact sheets on more than 100 programs.… https://t.co/5hbxzXkZap 05:43PM - 29 Nov 2022
- Only one week left to submit ballots for the @usdafsa County Committee and Urban County Committee Election.… https://t.co/NQfKmkcY4a 03:44PM - 28 Nov 2022